A teeny-tiny self-portrait (the first thing I’ve drawn in weeks orz)
I’m doing a 30-day art improvement thing to try to make me start drawing again, I’ve had zero inspiration for a long time so hopefully this will kick my ass back in gear ^^
Also those are acne scars, not freckles unfortunately :C I tried to be really honest with this, at least as much as I could for it being so small and sketchy :P
(This isn’t my usual style but it was really fun to do! I enjoyed the game a lot even though it’s so short :O)
Animated bonfire commission for vaatividya! This is just a short looping sample of the full animation.
Step by step, this is how I did it:
1. I had a sketch on a hot pink layer. I duplicated the sketch, turned the luminescence down, merged it all together. Slapped on a base skintone, merged that with the sketch.
2. I colorpicked a shading tone from the linework that ended up being like a vaguely purply-peach color. I made a little palette on the side for colors I’d be working with. Also, I’m painting all of this entirely on one layer so that’s something to keep in mind.
3. Grabbed some more colors for my shading palette from the linework + base color layer. Started playing with highlights as well.
4. Started blocking in where I wanted darker colors for the shading and kept on blending the highlights.
5. blend blend blend blend colourpick blend blend colourpick blend etc etc ad nauseum
6. thought the colours were looking a little washed out, so i duplicated the layer, set the duplicated layer to shade, turned it down to like 11% opacity, hue shifted it to be more peachy/pink.
7. decided it was TOO pink, hue shifted it to be more neutral/yellow.
8. shade shade shade blend blend colourpick define highlights define details define define define. Opacity of my brush was varying a LOT here, like fluctuating every 7-10 strokes.
9. LE YEUX!
10. more defining. I narrowed the bridge of his nose a little and added more highlights.
11. LES YEUX! Deux yeux. Also more shading, hon hon hon.
12. Eyes are done. i think that’s the only thing thats changed here.
13. Alors, he is looking like he’s got some life in him now. This was a multiply layer, 100%, veeeery pale pink fluffed out with white.
14. And we’re done. This layer was a little bit of highlighting on the apples of his cheeks, around his eyes a bit more, I think I adjusted the weird neck-saddle shadow he’s got going on there, annnnd that’s about it!
Hope that helped!